In a civilized society, should anyone or any government ever force anyone to do anything against his or her will as long as that person does not infringe upon the life, liberty, or property of another?

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Government cuts cell phone power

People in many countries are able to coordinate their activities, especially demonstrations, using cell phones, twitter, facebook, etc. Governments know this - and hate it. So the government in San Francisco, as you can read here, decided to cut power to cell phone towers so it would be more difficult for people to plan their demonstration. This is just the beginning. In the future, the federal government will do the same, and also go so far as to shut down the internet in the interests of "security" and to hinder "terrorism." Time to watch V for Vendetta again. As V said in the movie: "There's something terribly wrong with this country."

3 comments:

Mary said...

Insane. I thought that we had freedoms...silly me.

"People should not fear their governments. Governments should be fear their people."
-V

Mary said...

Sorry for the grammer. My phone adds in words and auto corrects spelling mistakes. :) I am sure you will forgive me.

AceOfCircles said...

Agreed. When I first read of this debate a few months ago I was angered that this was even being talked about. The gov has no place limiting our ability to communicate in any way.

I wonder, if they are considering these types of changes unprovoked...what might they do in a case where Americans want to take a more hardline demonstration?