In a civilized society, should anyone or any government ever force anyone to do anything against his or her will as long as that person does not infringe upon the life, liberty, or property of another?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Four day computers and two week garbage cans

A DHL employee knocked on my door this afternoon, and when I answered, there it was, just four days after ordering it! Yes, my daughter's new computer, ordered last Saturday at a convenient kiosk at the Galleria mall in Houston. No hassle, no shipping charges, and minus Sunday, truly three days from ordering to receiving. Amazing how the free market works. With HP, Apple, IBM, Gateway and others nipping at their heels, Dell quickly delivered a box that makes millions of calcuations per second to my house for only $431.00.

The City of Houston, however, took two weeks to deliver a big chunk of black plastic to my house. I even offered to pick up the garbage can to save them time and gas, yet they said it couldn't be done. Amazing how the government can't efficiently serve us despite massive taxation. Oh, that's right, they don't have any competition.

Markets work, government doesn't.

No comments: