In a civilized society, should anyone or any government ever force anyone to do anything against his or her will as long as that person does not infringe upon the life, liberty, or property of another?

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lazy professors and dumbed-down classes

Academia is one reason why Americans are economically, politically, and historically illiterate. Not only do I continually encounter intellectually lazy history and government professors who never stop espousing the benefits of the warfare/welfare state, they've dumbed down their classes. The tales coming from my students of how easy their classes are is amazing. An e-mail was sent out last year about the inordinate amount of A's given out. The e-mail did not apply to me, since only a few students (unlike enrollees or attendees) earn an A in my class every semester. Last semester, one student wanted daily grades like some of her other classes. I told her that wasn't desirable on my part, and I reminisced on the way home about the last time I gave anything close to daily grades: when I taught two years of junior high in the early 80s.

Businesses beware!

No comments: