In a civilized society, should anyone or any government ever force anyone to do anything against his or her will as long as that person does not infringe upon the life, liberty, or property of another?

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The evil "outsourcing" monster rises again

Some Illinois congressman strutted out a refrigerator on the floor of the House of Representatives tonight and began bellowing gas about the evils of outsourcing. As usual, he used emotion and a shallow argument, not sound economic reasoning by sound economists. Three excellent articles (1, 2, 3) from the mises.org site reveal that the outsourcing monster isn't quite what the typical politician makes it out to be.

After all, shouldn't I be free to build my factory anywhere in the world I want, as long as I purchase the land and obey that particular country's laws? And for whatever reason I want? Or should I be forced to stay in the U.S. and pay for possibly more expensive land and possibly higher labor costs?

I wonder how horrible he would have made it sound if that Illinois plant had re-opened in Texas? Would he then speak of the evils of those rotten Texans, who "stole" jobs from Illinois citizens? Probably not.

No comments: